Debi commented on Frank's and Lianne's summaries;
Javita commented on the Transformational Learning blog;
Kathy commented on Alex's and Frank's summaries;
Rayla commented on Michelle's summary
EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
THEORY
GROUP 2 SUMMARY AND
INDIVIDUAL SUMMARIES FOR FEBRUARY
Kathy Ritter, Rayla Dawalt, Angela
Britton, Javita Johnson, & Debi DeJesus
What We Have Learned as a Group:
As a group, we
have explored the experiential learning theory for adult learners and
strategies for applying this theory in practice. This month we completed our
program investigations in experiential learning. Through our program
investigation, we have learned that experiential learning programs are diverse
and present in many content areas of educational training for adults.
Participation within an active and engaging process of authentic experiences,
reflection upon those experiences, and collaboration are necessary components
of developing knowledge. As a group, we
have all realized the value and have begun to utilize this component in our
current vocational roles. We have also
learned a great deal about the process of effective research as we weeded out
unnecessary information in order to focus on the most relevant available to our
program needs. This has been the
beginning of a continually unfolding process of learning and collaboration.
Working With a Group Focus:
We have learned
the importance of communication in a timely and efficient manner. In an effort
to include all members equally, we have utilized blackboard IM to talk as a
group and discuss individual roles and set deadlines. We have strived as a
group to openly collaborate and establish synergy needed for project
completion. The development of a consistent mode of communication became very
apparent as we worked together. We
quickly could see that we each needed to use the same avenues in which to reach
one another so that we could all be onboard and equally informed. We are beginning to see each other’s
individual strengths that we bring to the table and how those strengths can
best be used for group success. We are
developing into great communicators who respect and admire the strengths in
each other. As a collective group, our background of experiences are diverse
within the experiences of conducting research, using APA writing style,
utilizing technology, and working with adult learners. We are beginning to learn from the experiences
we share collectively which will make our journey a rich and rewarding
experience.
NEXT STEPS AND FUTURE DIRECTION:
We are beginning
to post the minutes from our Blackboard IM meetings on our group blog
discussion page so that we can all access important information at a later
time. Additionally, we have set a focus
prior to meeting so that everyone can come prepared for input. Concerning our program development portion of
our project, we have decided that we will meet on IM to discuss our project
development and establish responsibilities and set deadlines over Spring Break
so that we can work ahead. We now feel
that our communication gaps have been closed due to the formation of a
consistent mode of contact to be utilized and are ready to tackle the next part
of our project completion. We are
looking forward to moving ahead as we brainstorm, develop, and fine tune the
components of our experiential learning program for adults.
KATHY’S FEBRUARY
SUMMARY
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED
UP TO THIS POINT:
I have learned
that experiential learning for adults is a valuable learning theory. Having taught utilizing as much hands-on
learning and concrete experiences as possible within the curriculum, I am an
advocate of this theoretical learning philosophy. I have found value in the learning
experiences provided in this class because Dr. Chang facilitates by allowing us
to explore and become entrenched within the vast amount of literature available
as a learning vehicle. In this way, I
find that I am learning both by actual experience which makes the research and
project completion authentic, and by collaboration with my group and classmates
so that I may learn from them as well.
WORKING AS A MEMBER
OF GROUP TWO:
A valuable
learning experience for me this month has been patience. Being a person who needs completion to be
quick and efficient, I am sometimes my own worst enemy. Through this group process, I am learning
from the learning styles of others within my group. It has been vital for me to learn that I am
not responsible for the entire project (I am sometimes a little O.C.) and that
I need to focus on being a productive group member. Our group has become great at communication. Our only difficulty is using the same
consistent form and location of our communication postings so that we all know
where to look frequently and be on the same page. This is a very small kink to work out and one
that simple agreement will fix. We
currently have come to a consensus on the manner and destination of our
communication and I am looking forward to a great group project. I have learned
a great deal from these fabulous ladies in my group and am happy to be a part
of this journey with them as my support structure.

ANGELA’S FEBRUARY SUMMARY
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED UP TO THIS POINT:
This month, I
have learned how to work and participate in an online environment. In combination, I have learned about my group
classmates, established positive rapports, and am working with the group to
complete our first large assignment. Up
until now, I hadn’t written a paper utilizing APA writing style nor had I
conducted educational research. Due to
this, I am in the midst of becoming acclimated to that as well. Learning about experiential learning theory
has opened my eyes as an educator and has given me yet another tool to assist
with my students’ success.
WORKING AS A MEMBER OF GROUP TWO:
We are at the beginning stages of
continuous communication to ensure that roles, deadlines, assignments, etc. are
completed by the assigned timeframe. Our
group works well together and is open to the ideas and thoughts of each other’s
input. We have established the most
communication via BB IM and I feel confident that open lines of communication
will continue. We have group members
with varying experiences which will enhance and bring forth different
perspectives and ideas. I am looking forward to the upcoming
months working together
with these ladies that I have quickly come to admire.
RAYLA’S FEBRUARY SUMMARY
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED UP TO THIS POINT:
I have learned
more about technology, learning styles, and theories of adult education up to
this point. The first week of class I
learned how to create a You Tube video and how to post it on Blackboard. Later, I learned how to create and post on a
blog. I have enjoyed learning more about
the different learning styles and I like the way teaching has evolved over the
years. My favorite part so far is
looking at the other classmate’s group blogs and learning about the learning
styles they have posted about.
WORKING AS A MEMBER
OF GROUP TWO:
Working as a
group has been less challenging than I thought it would be. I have enjoyed working with the ladies in
group two. I actually feel more
confident having others reviewing my work before submitting it. I believe our communication is increasing and
we will end up have a great term! I hope
to be able to work with my team members in future courses. At the end of the first group project, I lost
a night’s sleep because I thought I had messed up. After talking to a couple of my group
members, I felt better and realized it was going to be okay. I like being able to have someone to bounce
ideas off of and know that I am not alone in this journey of learning.
JAVITA’S FEBRUARY SUMMARY
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED UP TO THIS POINT:
This semester has afforded me the
opportunity to delve into a new field and expand my knowledge of adult
learning. Admittedly, starting a new
program in a field that I have no formal training in has been a bit worrisome. However, I believe the readings and online
discussions have allowed me to gain a greater appreciation for the field of
adult learning and education. The
varying theories utilized to explain the phenomenon of adult learning has been
intriguing. I have found the parallels of adult learning to
my work in counseling clients quite fascinating. It would be unjust to work to work with
clients without providing education regarding appropriate topics and
theoretical orientations used throughout sessions. The readings have allowed me to understand
the importance of experience. I have
gravitated toward becoming a proponent of experiential learning. Experiential learning is constructing
knowledge and meaning from real-life experience. It is this component that allows me to
combine both therapeutic techniques with educational theory to help clients
digest and reflect upon their experiences.
I look forward to continuing to develop my understanding of how adults
learn and interpret experiences as I progress throughout the course.
WORKING AS A MEMBER
OF GROUP TWO:
I will begin by saying that I am not a
major advocate of group work. I find
that it can be difficult to coordinate schedules and assign roles to each group
member. The element of distance
education also creates an added concern.
For instance, I believe I am the only member within my group in a
different time zone. I have to
consciously remind myself when meeting times are arranged that it requires me
to be available one hour before the requested group time. However, my group has been pretty amazing at
setting times that work for each group member.
It has been interesting to work with individuals from different
disciplines. I believe this creates a
great dynamic to allow for greater input in project selection and role
assignments. Our group has been able to
effectively create deadlines, communicate via chat and maintain timely
submission of work.
DEBI’S FEBRUARY
SUMMARY
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED
UP TO THIS POINT:
I have been stretched out of my
comfort zone by learning to use technology new to me such as setting up and
posting on a blog as well as setting up Blackboard IM. While I am still not a fan of either, I do
understand their usefulness in online classes.
Additionally, I have learned about other theories of adult learning and
facilitation. I have learned the most
concerning experiential learning theory and its value in developing
knowledge. Because of its versatility,
this approach to learning can be implemented within a variety of educational
settings and age groupings.
WORKING AS A MEMBER OF
GROUP TWO:
A strength that
I see in our team members is that collectively, we have varied backgrounds and
experiences which will help us avoid “group think” issues. Another strength that I see in our group as a
whole is that we have each communicated frequently via texting, the group blog
on Blackboard, IM on Blackboard, and phone calls. This has increased our ability to remain on
the same page and work collectively to complete projects and assignments.
I truly enjoyed how the summary was a group effort and also individualized which is really nice to be able to compare group thoughts with those of each group member. Kathy I really agreed with how you said you like to turn things in early and how that can make you your own worst enemy and I am exactly the same way. I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure things are done timely and sometimes I am too worried about this and it can impact the quality of my work because I am so worried about having it done and turned in. I also agree that with working with others it helps a lot because you are able to lean on each other to get work done and more opinions are nice to help with the content. Great monthly summary and it sounds like your group is doing great work. Debi I also like your monthly summary how you were talking about the different backgrounds in your group and how it helps with issues and talking them out and this is a very great point. Also sounds like your group also has great communication which is a big part in my opinion in being successful in a group setting. Great job!! Whitney
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to read our summary, Whitney! :) Debi
Delete